When de Lacy reached Whatcom County, the first reports of placer-gold discoveries were coming in from the Fraser River district of British Columbia (B. Peabody, Charles Vail, and James Carr to "view" a road from Bellingham Bay to a crossing of the Nooksack River near what is now the Canadian border.After he connected the original Military Road with what since has been called Telegraph Road — named for the telegraph route instituted a decade later, de Lacy was soon hired by an ad hoc committee of boosters from the village of Whatcom.The earliest Hugh de Lacy left Normandy and came to England along with William the Conqueror.An early Walter de Lacy fought in the battle of Hastings in 1066.
Lee built his house and grounds in Norfolk in about 1800.
Soon, other professors also taught him topographical and mathematical drawing.
After his studies he was offered a position as rodman and leveler with the Illinois & Central Railroad (the same job that Sedro-Woolley engineer Albert G.
A grandson, Hugh de Lacy, received a Scottish royal land grant in Ireland in the 12th century and became the Lord of Math.
His son, also a Walter, became Earl of Ulster and father and son built a castle or two.
De Lacy was instructed to locate the road inland wherever possible, about five miles beyond the range of the artillery range of Britain's naval warships.